What You Need
- 1(18-ounce, 8-inch round) loaf rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 6 tablespoonsunsalted butter, divided
- 2large yellow onions (about 1 pound), diced
- 4large stalks celery, diced
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced
- 1/4 cupfinely chopped fresh sage leaves
- Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cupslow-sodium turkey, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 2large eggs
- 1 teaspoonkosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Large rimmed baking sheet
- Large skillet
- 9×13-inch or 3-quart baking dish
- Dry the bread. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 225°F. Spread the bread cubes on a large, rimmed baking sheet in an even layer. Bake until quite crisp, stirring every 30 minutes, about 90 minutes total. After removing the bread from the oven, turn up the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Cook, the onion, celery, and garlic until tender. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the herbs. Stir in the sage and thyme and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the toasted bread cubes with the onion mixture. Transfer the toasted bread to a large bowl. Add the onion mixture and fold to combine.
- Whisk the eggs and broth, and mix in. Place the broth, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl, season with a generous amount of pepper, and whisk to combine. Pour over the bread mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Put into a baking dish and top with more butter. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch or 3-quart baking dish. Transfer the bread mixture into the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the top.
- Cover and bake. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is golden-brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Rest before serving. Let the dressing cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Make ahead: The dressing can be completely assembled and refrigerated overnight or up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375°F. Bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until top is lightly browned. If you are baking the dressing directly from the refrigerator, expect to add 10 extra minutes baking time. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month.